Sunday 24 June 2018

22/06 Greenham Common

Location: Greenham Common Western Enclosure
Session: 22-Jun-2018 06:30 to 10:30hrs
Headlines: Did a half-hearted ringing session today 22nd. The object was to clean the rides for later next month using my brand new GTech strimmer. I managed to do about 66metres of ride before the battery lost its charge including some heavy-ish gorse strimming that I would normally deal with manually. I cleared a ride and put up the net. I did three rides in this manner and was cleaning the fourth when I noticed a large black bird in one of the nets. Not expecting to capture until I finished and retreated the enclosure I was surprise to find a normally very wary Jackdaw adult in the net. Surprisingly I manage to extract it without  bloodshed. On checking later the group has ringed 119 Jackdaw, mostly pulli. I was surprised to find that I had not ringed one on group rings before. In fact the only ones I can remember is when Reg Smith trained me for my pulli license back in the 1970s; I think I ringed a couple of boxes of them. It is great when you have no trainees with you to steal the birds.  I did manage to clean all five rides but did not put up any more nets. Most of the capture consisted of juveniles. The Great Tit recapture was quite an old bird and was in a poor state being completely bald. I thought it was in moult but on checking it seems it was an old male in very poor condition; I know how it feels..
Weather: bright, sunny, light breeze
Present: JL, IW
Nets: 48M in three rides of 18M, 10M, 12M up from 07:45 to 10:10hrs
Lure (none):
Capture (New/Recapture)            
13(12/01)
A visit on the 21-Jun-2017 produced two birds both recapture adult: a Whitethroat and Great Tit
Species
New
Rtp
Juv
Adult
BLUTI
2

2

COATI
1

1

DUNNO
1

1

GRETI
2
1
2
1
JACKD
1


1
WHITE
3

3

WILWA
2


2


Recaptures: (01) GRETI ringed 24/09/2014

Sightings 30 Species: the only notable species was a family of Kestrel that included at least two juveniles.




No comments: