Wednesday 20 May 2020

17/05 Bagnor Nest Boxes

This nest box season has been severely disrupted for reasons that don’t need repeating. Following the relaxing of lockdown rules, on Monday the 17th May with Kay I checked the Bagnor boxes in the hope of catching the tail end of the season. The first box had unclipped from its top fastening so that it was hanging at right angles to the tree trunk with the front of the box facing the ground. I was just about to push it upright and refit it but thought I should check the contents first. On opening the top my gazed was met by a Great Tit sitting on naked young. It seems the nest had been built such that the downward facing hole had sufficient space for the birds to get in and out. We put the box up in 1985 and had not replaced it so we had been lucky given the expansion of the trunk over the years that it had not popped off before. The following three boxes had broods that had not reached ringing stage. The next box had what appeared to be ring-able Great Tits. I transfer 13 pulli to a bird bag, noting that some appeared a bit small. On closer inspection I found there to be six ring-able Great Tits and seven Blue Tits not quite ready to ring. On returning the pulli to the nest both Great and Blue Tit pairs were alarming nearby; not sure how it worked but it appears to be a shared box. Most of the 40 boxes were occupied and generally the Great Tits were just about ring-able but almost all the Blue Tit were ready to fledge and it was too dangerous for the birds for them to be ringed; had I tried the birds would have exploded from the nest before they were called out by the adults. I ringed 74 birds from 10 boxes including a brood Nuthatches and Blue Tits, the rest being Great Tits. Having created 41 nest records I should get the end of the story for these after a few more visits. Still not permitted to access the Greenham or Snelsmore Boxes so I expect I will miss these completely. 

Broods as follows:

Blue Tit: 9

Great Tit: 6, 8, 5, 2, 9, 10, 8, 11

Nuthatch: 9

Nest Records 41 of 40 boxes
(The addition record covers the Great and Blue Tits in the same box)

No comments: