Tuesday 30 January 2018

30/01 Greenham Common

Put up the usual three nets at the Western Enclosure this morning; arrived at about 07:50. The combination lock to the gate onto the common was frozen so I thawed it out using the warmth of my hands; not recommended. I can  confirm that in the two hours thirty minutes the nets were up that the only being seen to enter and leave the enclosure was me! I had hoped to pick up a few Goldcrests and I saw some in the nearby scrub. Watched them fly-catching winter midges for about 10 minutes. They were oblivious  to the audio of their song. Not all bad though. I pruned all but five silver birch trees along the net rides to chest high, ready for the growing season; something I would have needed to do in the next few weeks. Another visit and in half hour job done for this year.
Really nice spring-like day and quite warm in the sunshine, kept thinking there should be a swallow or two flitting through. Woodlarks were in full song, two singing at each other not far above me made me feel a lot better and looking forward to the spring and wondering what goodies it will hopefully bring. At about 10:50hrs with the car windows open for the first time this year I drove back across the common, surprisingly few "dog" walkers about in such good conditions..

No comments: