Monday 11 March 2019

11/03 Greenham Feeder

The forecast for this week says that today 11th Mar looked to be the best (quiet!) day. I usually keep Mondays free for other than ringing or birding. However given the forecast I decided that it seemed to be the only chance of getting a first half of the month visit in here. I had the usual 34metres of nets up by 08:00hrs,  although it was said to be calmer it was still very windy. The effect on the nets was probably similar to the "sheltered" nets yesterday in the gale. As I put the nets up at least two Lesser Redpoll waited in the surrounding trees. The first I have seen at this or any of my feeders this year and so I was quite hopeful. True to form however no birds were caught until late in the session. Two new LOTTI were captured at 10:10hrs and a new BLUTI and GOLDC at 10:40hrs and that was it. The matching visit last winter on the 09/03/2018 had a 10 bird capture of six species; no finches just tits, a robin and a Dunnock.
Birding was also quiet,- 25 species, no Woodlark is surprising given the windy and sunny conditions, the first summer migrant Chiffchaffs of the year for me probably the best birds otherwise nothing unexpected except only one Great Tit detected! (JL,IW)


No comments: